Canvas™ is the centrally hosted Learning Management System software used by UBC, available for free to all instructors and students. It lets you post course notes, electronically collect student assignments, do online quizzes, and so much more. Come visit our office in CEME 1214, and we can give you a quick tour of the Canvas™ system.
You can get both faculty and campus level support when you have questions about how to use Canvas™ system. If you are in the Faculty of Applied Science, you should first contact the Centre for Instructional Support with your Canvas™ questions. You can contact us or drop by our office (CEME 1214) during normal business hours. Outside of normal business hours and for more difficult issues you can contact the central campus Learning Technology Hub through email or by phone at 604-827-4775.
To learn more about how to use the Canvas system on your own, you can check out the UBC help resources below.
Are you new to teaching with Canvas? Canvas 101 might be for you. This new self-paced online course is designed to introduce UBC instructors to the ins and outs of using Canvas and building Canvas courses. Learn how design, deliver, and manage your Canvas courses—and make your teaching more efficient.
Canvas 101 is divided into six modules featuring short videos, how-to instructions, and online teaching and learning strategies. Module topics include organizing your course content, creating assignments and quizzes, and grading.
At the end of each section, you’re invited to take an optional self-assessment to review what you’ve learned. Completing all six knowledge checks will unlock the option to generate a Canvas 101 Certificate of Completion.
Get started with Canvas 101.
- Official Canvas Guides*
- Canvas Terminology
- Canvas Guide for Instructors
- Introductory Screencasts (YouTube)
*Please note that not all tools will work as described in Instructure’s documentation due to the custom integration with different UBC systems.
For issues with your email account and other technical concerns, please contact the IT Services Help Desk
- If you are in the Faculty of Applied Science, you should first contact the Centre for Instructional Support with your Canvasä You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop into our office (CEME 1214) during normal business hours. Submitting requests to the email will automatically generate a help ticket in our system and helpful Learning Tech Rover will follow-up with you.
- Outside of normal business hours and for more difficult issues you can contact the central campus Learning Technology Hub [email@example.com or 604-827-4775]
- To learn more about how to use the Canvas system on your own, you can check out the UBC help pages or Instructure (Canvas parent company) documentation. Please note that not all tools will work as described in Instructure’s documentation due to the custom integrations with different UBC systems.
Students are automatically enrolled to credit course shells in Canvas once they are registered in the Student Information Service Centre (SISC). They MUST be enrolled in SISC course to gain access to a credit course shell in Canvas. We are unable to directly add students to these Canvas courses.
Instructors and Teaching Assistants (TAs) are automatically enrolled through UBC systems through SISC, after the timetable representatives complete and submits the appointment forms.
Please contact your specific department's timetable representatives to get your instructor and TA appointments completed.
In extraordinary circumstances, your timetable representative can make a request to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) for temporary 2 week Canvas access while the paperwork is being processed.
Our office can only add Auditors and Course Assistants to Canvas.
Please submit a request below and provide the following details:
- Approval from the head of unit
- Course name and number (i.e CHBE 262)
- Full name and CWL
- Email/s of user
- Canvas role: Course Auditor or Course Assistant